Monday, December 15, 2008

Nativity

So for LAST weeks family night (yes I'm a blog slacker!!!) We went to the most wonderful Live Nativity. It was truly an amazing experience, I hope to make it a new tradition with our family and go EVERY year. The weather was a bit cold but it was worth it. Even as I type this the wonderful feeling of it all comes back to me, it was truly spiritual.

First you park in a church parking lot and wait for your turn to ride in a horse trailer sitting on bales of hay. The kids would have been fine if that was all we did. When you arrive in "Bethlehem" you are greeted by a native and he tells you the story of Christ's birth. Then we walked up a hill towards the first barn. It was a VERY BIG barn. The line was a little long but as we waited we saw Roman soldiers on horses go by yelling "make way."


After the soldiers came by a nice shepherd came over to warn us that they were looking for little boys. It was just so fun to have so many characters helping make it such a wonderful experience.

Inside the first barn we saw a real camel (who was nicer than most from what I've heard) and sheep and a donkey. We also saw what a black smith would have been doing, pottery, bakery, weaving looms, basketry, and kids playing games. We even got to eat a small piece of bread.


I don't know why but I love pictures of kids from behind!


After that barn you walked up to the stable. Inside it was so peaceful, quiet and the most wonderful feeling. There was Mary and Joseph just gazing at the miracle little baby Jesus. And yes it was a real baby swaddled. so snug and warm laying on the hay in a manger. I wanted to take a picture but I didn't want to risk waking the sleeping baby. But I have that picture engraved in my head. The love in their eyes and the feeling...... Evey once in awhile they would look up at you and just the look conveyed so much. It was an amazing experience.

As you left there was hot chocolate and a large container where if you would like you could make a donation to the Huntsman Cancer Inst.

They do this every year now and it's for one weekend and Monday I highly recommend it for ALL of you next year!!!!!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

That sounds really cool. You have great family nights.
Hey what is the party?, I'm feeling a little left out. (just kidding) Hope you guys have fun

Emily said...

wow that sounds like a really neat evening!! Is it too late for me to take my family?? Where and when.... I need the details :) xoxo

they had one like that here in Cache Valley... Nibley, actually... maybe that's the one?